What are the major symptoms and developments in the first trimester of pregnancy? How will my baby grow and change? What tasks should be on my to-do list? A complete guide to your first trimester of pregnancy.
A Guide to the Pregnancy Trimesters
The weeks of your pregnancy are divided into three trimesters, each approximately 13 weeks long.
First Trimester Pregnancy: weeks 1 - 13
Second Trimester Pregnancy: weeks 14 - 27
Third Trimester Pregnancy: weeks 28 - 40 (or whenever you deliver!)
Although there are huge changes taking place in each week of your pregnancy, each trimester does have its own characteristics. Let's take a quick look.
The First Trimester of Pregnancy is Characterized By:
- Waiting impatiently to find out if you are actually pregnant! Try and resist the urge to take a test every five minutes.
- Sharing the news with your partner.
- Excitement and euphoria.
- A reality check when morning sickness and the other First Trimester pregnancy symptoms kick in!
The Second Trimester of Pregnancy is Characterized By:
- Your belly going "pop" and having a visible baby bump!
- Announcing to friends and family that you're expecting a baby.
- Not being able to fit your favorite jeans.
- Finding out (or not) the sex of your baby.
- A burst of energy and purpose from the "nesting instinct".
- A few uncomfortable 2nd Trimester pregnancy symptoms like need to pee all the time and being constipated.
The Third Trimester of Pregnancy is Characterized By:
- Anxiousness about labor and delivery.
- Excitement about getting to meet your baby!
- 3rd Trimester pregnancy symptoms like insomnia, cramps, Braxton Hicks contractions...just to name a few.
- Literally being able to see your baby move as he or she practices somersaults in the womb!
- Waiting for the first signs that labor is beginning.
Want to Know More about Pregnancy by Trimester?
Click on any of the three for more detailed information about the symptoms, developments, and risks in the pregnancy trimester calendar:
What are the major symptoms of the second trimester of pregnancy? How will your baby grow and develop? What tasks should be on your to-do list? Find out in our comprehensive guide to the second trimester.
What are the major symptoms and developments of the final trimester of pregnancy? How will your baby grow and change? What tasks should be on your to-do list? What are the tell-tale signs that labor is drawing near? What are the signs of possible complications? Find out in our comprehensive guide to the third trimester.