Pregnancy Insomnia – What Causes it and How do I Make it Go Away?!?
Can pregnancy cause insomnia? You bet it can! Insomnia during pregnancy is one of the most frustrating symptoms and can make day to day life really hard to get on with. Pregnancy insomnia can strike at any time during your nine months but is most common in the final trimester.
What Causes Pregnancy Insomnia?
There are a number of different causes for pregnancy insomnia. These include:
- Pain and discomfort from other pregnancy symptoms.
- Worry and anxiety.
- Hormonal changes.
Early Pregnancy Insomnia:
Insomnia in early pregnancy is most likely to be caused by your body adjusting to the hormonal changes. The best way to make sure you get a good night’s sleep is to make sure you’re getting enough exercise during the first trimester and to take folic acid supplements.
Late Pregnancy Insomnia:
As the end of your pregnancy draws nearer, insomnia can become much more likely. You’re probably becoming quite anxious about what’s ahead, your body’s working overtime to prepare for labor, and symptoms like cramp and sciatica are causing you pain. Getting comfortable seems to be next to impossible! Read on for a few drug-free tips to combat sleeplessness.
Strategies for Coping with Insomnia During Pregnancy:
Using over the counter sleeping medications is not recommended during pregnancy, and your doctor is highly unlikely to prescribe sleeping pills for pregnancy insomnia. However, there are quite a few natural methods you can use to get a little more sleep.
- Get more fresh air and exercise.
- Practice yoga and meditation before trying to sleep.
- Try a cup of chamomile tea or pop a bunch of dried lavender by your bed.
- Give pregnancy aromatherapy a try (check out our safety guide first!).
- Try using a pregnancy wedge or other pregnancy support product.
Do You have a Secret Strategy for Fighting off Insomnia in Pregnancy?
If you have any tips on pregnancy and insomnia, we’d love you to share them in our comments section. Even if you help just one exhausted woman get some sleep, it’ll be worth it!
More Pregnancy Symptoms and Advice:
There are hundreds of other symptoms you might be experiencing as well as insomnia and pregnancy. Click on any of the articles below to learn more:
- Pregnancy cramps and pains
- Morning sickness
- Breathlessness during pregnancy
- Bleeding during pregnancy
- Risky symptoms vs. normal symptoms
- Early symptoms of labor
- First-trimester pregnancy symptoms
- Second-trimester pregnancy symptoms
- Third-trimester pregnancy symptoms