Can I Dye my Hair During Pregnancy?
There is very little research to suggest that using hair dye during pregnancy will harm you or your baby.
What the Experts Say about Hair Dye and Pregnancy:
There is not a huge amount of research into whether hair dye during pregnancy is safe. But most experts agree that treatments such as coloring and bleaching are safe for you and your baby because little if any of the chemicals can enter the bloodstream and reach the fetus. It is unlikely that enough of the chemical is absorbed through the skin or breathed in to cause any serious risk to you or your baby.
Precautions when Using Hair Dye During Pregnancy:
If you still feel concerned about pregnancy and hair dye, there are a few precautions you could take (even if it’s just to put your mind at ease!). Follow this easy advice:
- Consider using natural hair dyes (such as henna) while you’re pregnant.
- Opt for a semi permanent rather than a permanent color (they have less chemicals).
- Make sure that the hair dye is applied in a well-ventilated space (to avoid breathing in too many chemicals).
- Put off using chemical hair dyes until after the first trimester (when your baby is at his or her most vulnerable).
What if I Work as a Hairstylist? Should I Avoid the Chemicals While Pregnant?
There are studies which suggest that women who work with large amounts of hair dye chemicals are at greater risk of miscarriage or other complications. This is simply because the exposure to chemicals is much greater over a sustained period of time. If you are a hairstylist and are concerned about contact with chemicals, you should:
- Talk to your obstetrician about your concerns.
- Ensure you take safety precautions such as wearing gloves.
- Make sure your salon is well-ventilated.
- Avoid eating in your work place.
- Consider switching to other duties in the first trimester – such as cutting instead of coloring.
Find out More about Your Pregnancy:
Were you surprised to find out that it’s safe to dye hair during pregnancy? There are a lot of myths and old wive’s tales out there! Find out more about what’s true and what’s not in our pregnancy facts and fiction article.
Practical and easy to follow advice for keeping your body (and your baby!) as healthy as possible throughout your pregnancy.
Bohemian goddess? Fit Momma? Or something else entirely? Check out our pregnancy style guide and find your look.