Baby Shower Ideas – Throw a Party to Remember!
Where do you start when you’re planning to throw a baby shower for a friend (or for yourself!)?There’s a lot to think about – guest list, invitations, menu, cakes, gifts, favors, games…the list goes on! A baby shower is a wonderful way to show your best friend or sister you love her and wish her well as a new mother. It’s also a great chance to catch up with the women in your life and to celebrate the impending arrival. But planning one can be a bit of a headache. That’s where we come in! Read on for our comprehensive list of unique baby shower ideas.
Baby Shower Invitation Ideas:
We know that these days most people just make Facebook events for parties. But there’s something really nice about receiving a personalized invitation in the post. And we think a baby shower is an event worth making the effort for. Finalize the guest list and aim to send out invitations at least six weeks before the shower so that guests can clear their calendars or make travel arrangements to come. Here are a few ideas for cute and unique invitations:
- Make an invitation card with the baby’s ultrasound picture on the front.
- Send the invitation out with a piece of a cute puzzle which will be put together as each guest arrives at the shower.
- Take a photo of Mom and Dad to be holding a tiny pair of shoes or a tee-shirt.
- Give instructions with the invitation. E.g. come up with your favorite baby name, write a poem for the new baby, or bring a photo of Mom-to-Be. These could become part of one of the games at the shower.
- Send out cards with a cute, classic design like a stork with a baby.
- Get fridge magnet invitations printed online and send them out as invitations – this provides guests with a great visual reminder of the upcoming event.
Baby Shower Menu Ideas:
It’s best to go for simple finger foods when planning your menu. And, although the temptation may be for brightly colored, sugary delights, remember you have a Mom-to-Be to think of and try to include some healthy options. Try these simple yet delicious finger foods:
- Carrot and celery sticks with a range of delicious hummus and dips.
- Smoked salmon and cream cheese blinis.
- Wholemeal breads and spreads.
- Colorful fruit skewers.
- And, just because they’re so cute – a few platters of beautifully decorated cupcakes – it is a party after all!
Baby Shower Theme Ideas:
Your imagination is the limit when it comes to planning a theme. Think of the mother and the things she is passionate about – does she collect teddy bears? Is she a dancer? Does she have a secret passion for penguins? Perhaps there’s a way you can infuse the Mom-to-be’s personality into the baby shower theme. The theme can be as simple as a color scheme or as elaborate as a complete movie world. Showers are also commonly themed for the gender of the baby. More on baby shower ideas for a boy or a girl baby below.
Baby Shower Ideas for Boys:
If the Mom-to-Be knows that she is having a boy, you can have a bit of fun with boyish themes. It could be as simple as blue balloons and streamers, or it could be something more elaborate. Here are a few of our favorite themes:
- A theme based on Dad-to-Be’s profession – e.g. Bob the Builder if Dad is a builder.
- Sports stars
- Under the Sea.
Baby Shower Ideas for Girls:
Likewise, there are lots of beautiful ways to celebrate a little girl on the way. And again, it can be as simple as pink balloons or streamers or based on a more specific theme – your imagination really is the limit! Here are a few cute ideas you could use to celebrate a little girl on the way:
- Disney princesses.
- Ballet dancers.
- A classic high tea.
- Floral delights.
- A theme based on Mom’s profession e.g. Dora the Explorer for a scientist.
Baby Shower Decorating Ideas when You Don’t Know the Gender:
If Mom doesn’t know the sex of her baby (or if she doesn’t want a gender stereotyped theme!) there are many ways you can create a cute neutral theme. Here are a few of our favorite gender neutral shower themes:
- Classic baby designs like the stork or cupid.
- Balloons and streamers in Pastel colors (yellows, greens, and peaches are popular this year).
- A favorite childhood story (e.g. The Jungle Book or The Pokey Little Puppy).
- Blackboards and chalk – blackboard paint is fairly cheap to buy and you could paint lots of cute boards with the menu, the list of games, a space to record game winners
Cheap Baby Shower Ideas:
You don’t have to spend a fortune to throw a successful baby shower! Some of the themes we’ve listed above could be really elaborate but they don’t have to be. You may prefer to have a casual get-together with simple decorations – after all, it’s about the people, not the Instagram photos! Try one of these simple baby shower ideas:
- Have a gorgeous picnic in a local park.
- Just go with a color scheme – balloons and streamers are cheap and simple.
- Ask each guest to bring along a favorite dish and share a potluck meal together.
- Make the party an afternoon tea instead of lunch or dinner – you’ll save loads on catering!
Do You have Great Ideas for Baby Shower Organization to Share?
Have you thrown or been to a unique and beautiful baby shower? We’d love to hear about it! Either tell us your story in the comments section or send us a private message through our contact us page. We’re super friendly and we love hearing from our readers.
More Articles and Ideas on Throwing the Best Baby Shower:
Baby Shower Games Ideas:
Games are an essential part of a well-thrown baby shower – click here for some great game ideas for your event.
It’s always nice to send guests home with a little momento of the baby shower. Click here for cute and unique ideas for baby shower party favors.
Have you thought about what you’ll wear to your baby shower? These days, you don’t have to wear a smock or a dress that resembles a tent! There are hundreds of modern and stylish pregnancy dresses you can choose from! Check out a few of our favorites right here.